I have worked with WordPress since it started in 2003 and I am always amazed how in amongst its thousands of amazing plugins, sometimes it is damn hard to find one which can carry out a very straightforward task.
So today, I applied FEEL4 to finding out what I needed to do to build my very own plugin. This post will explain my path and it also offers you a free download of the plugin I created too. I hope it saves you time!
Relating to the FEEL4 steps, this was my path:
STEP 1 – FOCUS: I focused on finding a WordPress plugin that would enable me to set a default login page and I wanted to do it by the end of the day.
STEP 2 – ENERGIZE: I felt energized to do so because:
1. I love geeky WordPress stuff like this.
2. I wanted to feel a sense of satisfaction knowing I solved an issue with my website so that it looks and feels as professional as any other world class WP website.
3. I was excited to learn and use some more php coding.
4. I was excited to build my first ever WordPress plugin and offer it FREE to others who have the same focus and frustration in trying to find a solution.
STEP 3 – ENGAGE & LEARN: I engaged with these actions:
1. I searched google using a copy/paste of my FOCUS statement and tried various other search phrases which would show me more helpful links.
> 1.1 > I learnt that even though I found several search results about adding some php code to WordPress native files, when I viewed the source website and tried implementing the solutions I kept finding issues which still did not solve my focus.
2. Next I engaged with watching YouTube tutorials about building my own WordPress plugin.
> 2.1. > I learnt that these two videos were the most helpful for a fast explanation:
– https://youtu.be/l6NL-rF9bE8 – I learnt this one was the most straight forward for what I wanted.
3. Finally I engaged with building my own WordPress plugin.
> 3.1 > I learnt that things are never as complicated as you may think and it is good to dive straight into trying something because that is when you really learn fast and find unexpected solutions and hidden skills.
Overall I learnt that no matter how hard something appears to be, a solution can always be found in the end. You just have to keep persevering!
…And there you have it. That was the FEEL4 path which led to the creation of the below plugin. I hope you find some of this path useful. As always, please leave a comment below or in the Community Forum.
Note once downloaded you will need to follow the WordPress plugin installation process: View WordPress Guide
More Info: This plugin forces the original default WordPress login page to redirect to your chosen URL. Manually add your login page URL by going to the wp-admin default side menu and clicking: PLUGINS > EDITOR > SELECT SiteWide-Login-Page PLUGIN FROM DROPDOWN > FIND https://yourdomain/login/ AND SWAP IT WITH YOUR LOGIN PAGE URL > PRESS SAVE